If your Aadhaar number is not linked with PAN card, then this news is very important for you
Aadhaar card is issued to every Indian citizen, which has a unique 12-digit number assigned by Unique Identification Authority (UIDAI). In a recent announcement by the Income Tax Department said that the Personal Account Numbers (PANs) that are not linked to Aadhaar by March 31, 2023, will become Inoperative from April 1.
In India, it is mandatory to link your Aadhaar card with your PAN (Permanent Account Number) card as per the provisions of Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act. Here are the rules for linking Aadhaar card to PAN card:
The deadline for linking Aadhaar and PAN has been extended to 31st March 2023.
If you fail to link your Aadhaar with PAN before the deadline, your PAN will become invalid and you will not be able to file your income tax returns.
To link your Aadhaar with PAN, you can visit the income tax e-filing website or can do it via SMS. You will need to enter your Aadhaar number, PAN number, and your name as mentioned on your Aadhaar card.
If there is any mismatch in the name or other details, you need to get it corrected in either your Aadhaar or PAN database before linking them.
Once you have successfully linked your Aadhaar with PAN, you will receive an intimation through SMS or email.
You can also check the status of your Aadhaar and PAN linking by visiting the income tax e-filing website.
It is important to link your Aadhaar with PAN as it helps the government to identify taxpayers and curb tax evasion.
Here are steps to link your PAN Card with Aadhar Card
- Go to https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ to access the income tax e-filing portal.
- Register for it (if not already done). Your user ID will be your PAN (Permanent Account Number).
- To log in, enter your User ID, password, and birth date.
- You will be prompted to link your PAN and Aadhaar in a pop-up window. If not, click “Link Aadhaar” under “Profile Settings” in the menu bar.
- Enter information such as name, date of birth, and gender; these details will already be shown according to the information provided at the time of registration on the e-filing portal. Enter your Aadhaar number and name as it appears on Aadhaar. Compare the PAN details displayed on the screen with those on your Aadhaar. Please take note that if there is a mismatch, the same needs to be addressed in both documents.
The “I accept to have my Aadhaar details validated” check box must be clicked in order to give your consent. If your Aadhaar card only has the year of your birth, click the box that reads, “I have only the year of birth on my Aadhaar card.”
- Click the “link now” button after entering your Aadhaar number if the details are correct.
- A pop-up message will inform you that your Aadhaar and PAN have been successfully linked